Thursday, February 8, 2007

MAINE PASTOR RESPONDS

I RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING EMAIL FROM THE PASTOR IN MAINE WHOSE PROVOCATIVE SERMON TITLE CAUSED SOME MIS-UNDERSTANDING. (SEE YESTERDAY'S POST HERE). I DECIDED TO RE-PRINT IT IN FULL WITH HIS ATTACHMENTS:

Dear Friends of Israel,

Before you rush to judgment with words like "stupid" for your search engine regarding a provocative sermon title from a Maine pastor, namely me, why not first read the statement for the general public, along with the sermon. You will see that I am with you. What does it take to bring this issue to light in the eyes of the public - a provocative title?

Please know that Friends of Israel and David Project are most supportive of the entire sermon, including the title.

I've attached my works for your review. If you wish to discuss any of the content after your review, I would be honored.

Serving the Lord of Glory as a friend of Israel,

Rev. Phil Andrukaitis, Pastor ~ First Baptist Church of South Portland, Maine


HERE'S THE "RESPONSE TO THE MEDIA":

The First Baptist Church
South Portland, Maine
879 Sawyer Street ~ South Portland, Maine 04106
Office: (207) 799-4565 ~ Fax: (207) 799-5922 ~ Website:
www.spfbc.com
Making a Difference in People’s Lives across the Street and Across the Sea
February 5, 2007

Dear friends in the Jewish and Christian community,

Due to the increasing number of calls and emails regarding the sermon title in the Portland Press Herald, (January 3, 2007), I find myself unable to respond individually and personally to each person and therefore I offer this general statement for the public. If you desire further discussion after reading this statement and the attached sermon, I would welcome the opportunity.

Please know that my intentions with the provocative title were to highlight the sermon which is profoundly supportive of the Jewish people and the nation of Israel. Friends, I had no idea that my sermon title would unleash (according to one person) a “firestorm” in the public and media.

On Sunday afternoon, I spoke to Andrew Tarsy, Regional Director for the Anti-Defamation League, and he said, …that given the history of anti-Semitism, the ad may have in fact pushed people beyond their capacity to comprehend where you are going, and it did turn out to alarm several people. Friends, my intentions were to provoke dialogue with the community and to stress the fact that behind God’s sovereign power to fulfill His promises is His heart of mercy. I did not intend to ignite a firestorm or call attention to myself or the church.

Some of you may ask, Well, what led you to title the sermon in this manner? The title was based on the OT book, the Book of Jeremiah, chapter 31, verses 35-37. In summary, God is declaring through His servant that…

  • if anyone can change the courses of the sun, moon, and stars,
  • if anyone can cause the seas to overrun their boundaries, and
  • if anyone can measure the foundations of heaven and earth,

only then will Israel cease to exist! The point that God is making, and that I am simply reiterating is, that there is no one equal to or greater than Almighty God Who created the heavens and the earth. If such a person, government, or terrorist organization were co-equal or greater than God, Israel’s existence would be threatened. The fact remains, there is no power or person on earth or under the earth or in heaven that will succeed in the destruction of Israel. Moreover, God Himself will not renege on His promises to the nation of Israel. Israel will forever remain His chosen people.

The sermon was also an overview of the NT book, the Book of Romans, chapters 9 through 11. It is important to understand that for the last two years, I have expounded on the first eight chapters of Romans. And now, beginning on February 18th, I will begin unfolding Romans chapter 9, answering the question that the apostle Paul anticipated, What are God’s plans for Israel?

Dear friends, please forgive me for causing alarm in your hearts. No doubt, several folks have already jumped to conclusions about me and this church. I ask you to follow Andy Tarsy’s example of patiently listening and carefully reading. Perhaps then, you will arrive at the same conclusion as he did, that I am a friend of the Jewish community – (Boston Globe, February 5, 2007).
Sincerely,
Rev. Phil Andrukaitis, Pastor
First Baptist Church of South Portland, Maine

HERE IS A LINK TO ANOTHER DOCUMENT REV. ANDRUKAITIS SENT ME.

No comments: