Monday, April 16, 2007

BRYAN FERRY SORRY HE PRAISED NAZIS

I'm sorry for 'amazing' Nazis comment, says Bryan Ferry (Evening Standard)
Bryan Ferry has apologised “unreservedly” after he praised the Nazis as “amazing”.

The singer, 61, had angered Jewish groups by telling a German newspaper of his admiration for the Third Reich's cultural achievements and admitting he named his recording studio after Hitler's bunker.

But in a statement released on Ferry's behalf, he now said the comments “were solely made from an art history perspective.

"I, like every right-minded individual, find the Nazi regime, and all it stood for, evil and abhorrent.” ...

In an interview, Ferry described the Nazis as "just amazing" and admitted calling his recording studio the "Fuhrerbunker" - a title associated with Hitler's headquarters. ...

Ferry, who is about to embark on a UK tour to promote his latest album, made his comments to the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag.

He said: "My dear gentlemen, the Nazis knew how to put themselves in the limelight and present themselves.

"Leni Riefenstahl's movies and Albert Speer's buildings and the mass parades and the flags - just amazing. Really beautiful."

He then blurted out: "I call my studio in West London - no, I have to stop because you're German."

But when the term "fuhrerbunker" was suggested, he admitted: "You surprised me. Normally I always say to German journalists, 'My headquarters'. That is less shocking."

No comments: