Monday, May 7, 2007

UPDATED: MARYLAND COLLEGE STUDENT REFUSED FOOD SERVICE FOR PRO-ISRAEL T-SHIRT

Co-op apologizes to Jewish student
A University of Maryland food co-op has apologized to a student who was refused service because she was wearing a pro-Israel T-shirt. (diamondbackonline)

UDATE: Pro-Israel student refused service (JTA)
A Maryland food co-op is discussing its customer service policy after a pro-Israel student was refused service.

In late April, a checkout person at the Maryland Food Collective told a student that her "I Stand With Israel T-Shirt" was offensive, and refused to serve her, according to diamondbackonline.com, the University of Maryland newspaper. The student found another worker to help her but left the store "emotionally distraught," said Avi Mayer, president of the Pro-Israel Terrapin Alliance."

To my understanding, it was done openly and in front of others, and in a mildly humiliating manner, and that really is something that is not acceptable," Mayer told the paper after speaking with the student. The student "really does want to resolve this, but I think it goes way beyond her individual experience because we can't allow this... to be an epidemic."

Jewish students attended the collective's weekly meeting April 30, where workers asserted their right to deny service to anyone they chose. However, one worker said the co-op's policy on service will be discussed and possibly amended. An official statement from the co-op will be available this week, she told the paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should update this post again - the articles in the diamondback are inflammatory. the ones in the washington jewish week are better, as they actually spoke to me (the student in question), and the diamondback said that I "couldn't be reached for comment." The truth is, I sent in a letter to the editor which I thought better explained the incident than a different letter that had been sent in, and the email had my name and phone number. So I don't know why I "couldn't be reached for comment" but the WJW called me and I at least had some input there.

and for the record, I was refused service by one worker, not the store, because I went to the back of the store, as the cashier suggested, and found someone else to check me out.

the washington jewish week article:
http://www.washingtonjewishweek.com/
main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=
4&ArticleID=7129&TM=52527.73