Wednesday, February 6, 2008

MORE ROCKETS

2 kids hurt as Kassam lands near w. Negev kibbutz playground (JPost)
Two young sisters, aged twelve and two, were lightly wounded Wednesday when a Kassam rocket landed near a playground in Kibbutz Be'eri, in the western Negev. The two sisters, who were playing outside their home, were evacuated to Soroka Hospital in Beersheba suffering from shrapnel wounds. Their mother was sent into shock as a result of the attack.

Hamas claimed responsibility for the rocket fire.

Moments later, a Sderot home was damaged when it was hit by a rocket fired from Gaza. No one was wounded but several people were sent into shock. Another rocket fired in Wednesday evening's attack landed in an open area.

Earlier Wednesday, six Kassams were fired into Israel, all landing in open areas and causing no casualties or damage.

Palestinian Rocket Strike on Sderot Home Wounds Six - Amos Harel and Mijal Grinberg
Palestinians in Gaza on Tuesday evening fired eight Kassam rockets at the Israeli town of Sderot, one of which struck a home and wounded six people. The barrage also knocked out the power in one of the city's neighborhoods. Palestinians also fired three longer-range rockets at Ashkelon. Militants belonging to Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement and to the Popular Resistance Committees claimed responsibility. Also on Tuesday, Palestinians opened fire on farmers working in the fields of Kibbutz Nir Oz. Some farm equipment was damaged. (
Ha'aretz)

See also Sderot Girl Describes Palestinian Rocket Attack - Shmulik Hadad
Hanny Moreno, 14, who was injured by shrapnel, said she was in the house with her grandmother and mother when the rocket hit it. "We heard the Red Alert system. We ran to where my grandmother said was the most protected place, as there is no protection in the house. When the alert ended we came out and then there was an explosion. I flew against the wall and felt the roof collapsing over me. If I was a few meters away from the place where I was standing, I would have sustained more serious wounds. I thank God I was saved. Half a year ago, as I was making my way to this house, a Kassam rocket landed right next to me. A miracle saved me then too, because I managed to run and find shelter in time," she recounted.

MK Effie Eitam was on the outskirts of Sderot when the rockets began pouring in. He told Ynet: "A Kassam rocket fell on the road about 30 meters from me. That's not a good feeling." (Ynet News)

No comments: