Tuesday, August 15, 2006

BOSTON CELTICS G.M. AN ISRAEL-PHILE

Hoops of love By RUTHIE BLUM (JPost) (Hat tip: Sandy D.)
"Despite what happened on 9/11," said [Chris Wallace] the 47-year-old self-proclaimed news junkie, inexplicably "obsessed," since childhood, with Israel, "there's no real threat that Hizbullah's going to send rockets down on Providence or Worcester tomorrow. Or that the air force of a nearby hostile nation could suddenly attack us."

What sparked your interest in Israel?

It started when I was a young kid. I really don't know why, since I'm from a small town in West Virginia with virtually no Jews. And my family - while Methodists and church-goers - weren't what I would call devout Christians. So there was no religious reason. But when I was in junior high school, I simply became obsessed. I even began writing all my book reports on Israel-related works, such as Exodus.

Then, when I was in high school, Time/Life published a special 25th anniversary of Israel book which, as subscribers, my parents received. I must have read that thing 10,000 times.

What aspect of Israel was at the root of this obsession?

The whole story of the country. The odds that the Jews overcame to establish and build it. The passion of the Israelis. But I also liked that it was a Mediterranean culture, with people hanging out at cafes and on the beach.

No comments: